Thursday, July 25, 2013

Northern California PCH 2013

"California, California
Know I love you, California
When I leave, I know you wait for me
'Cause in the sun and in the weather
No one else has loved me better
California you’re the place for me."    Joey Ryan
It's almost impossible to not fall in love with California. With each visit, my personal love affair is rekindled.
So many songs written about the Golden State come to mind when I look at these photos that I feel compelled to quote them.

Here's a snapshot of me at the age of 16, my first visit to California in 1965.
I was an East Coast Surfer Girl until I discovered The Dead!

Catch a wave and you're sitting on top of the world.   Brian Wilson



OK, back to 2013.
Amid RV parks and over priced chain hotels we found the once elegant and quirky Ship Ashore Resort in Smith River CA.. This place has seen better days however the most important element remains intact, amazing location. While checking in, I watched the pelicans diving for supper and was sold. ( $75/night helped too)
We had a front row seat on our balcony of a bird sanctuary. A peaceful and constantly changing view, kept us entertained during our brief stay.



California sunset
Going down in the west
All the colors in the sky
Kiss another day goodbye.      Neil Young


Early morning bird sightings...Night Heron

Blue Heron

Snowy Egret


On the road again, morning mist and the Smith River

Elk by the beach




What the elk were looking at......


REDWOODS
And it smells like rain
Maybe even thunder
Wont you keep us from all harm
Wonderful redwood tree      Van Morrison



Most harrowing ride we experienced was on Rt 1 from Rt 101 towards Ft Bragg.
Hair-pin turn after hair-pin turn in the rain with these two fellas on our tail, cannot believe how fast they were driving. Sigh of relief when we let us pass them.


Ft Bragg CA.  Sea Glass Beach
This was a stunning spot even if the Sea Glass beach wasn't quite what I envisioned.









ELK CA. is a tiny community perched on a cliff overlooking the ocean. We stayed in a romantic little cottage, we didn't have an ocean view but we did have a porch filled with flowers and hummingbirds.
It was a perfect spot for happy hour.




Elk sunset










Elk sunrise




Bathroom window in Elk cottage



No comments:

Post a Comment